Obituary of Evelyn Williams
Evelyn (Lynn) Williams passed away on June 4, 2018 at age 94.
Evelyn Ruth Whitner was born on January 29, 1924 in Prosser to Calvin and Dollie Whitner. She graduated Valedictorian from Prosser High School and studied speech at Washington State College where she was a member of the varsity debate team and Delta Zeta sorority. She married Arthur (Art) Williams in 1945, and they were among the first married couples living on the WSC campus in Pullman after World War II. After college, they moved to Fife and then to Long Beach, WA, before settling in Centralia where they lived for more than 50 years and raised their three children: Charleen, Gerry and Wayne.
Art and Lynn were well-known in the Centralia community as active members of the Centralia Presbyterian Church and dedicated volunteers for many organizations. Lynn was an excellent seamstress, an avid gardener and enjoyed a good game of pinochle. After Art retired, they enjoyed traveling the world together – and took many trips around the United States in their motorhome.
Art passed away shortly after the couple moved to Ferndale in 2010. Lynn stayed busy with activities with the United Church of Ferndale, volunteering and spending time with family.
Lynn is preceded in death by her husband Art, brother Richard Whitner, son-in-law Don McKay, and grandson Keith McKay. She is survived by her daughter Charleen McKay of Ferndale; son Gerry Williams (Charmaine) of Las Vegas; son Wayne Williams (Jody) and grandchildren Jenny and Jack of Lake Tapps; granddaughter Karen Bevers (Jeff) and great grandchildren Evelyn and Keith of Bremerton; grandson Bruce McKay (Shawna) and great grandchildren Amy and Carter of Ferndale; her sister Pat Tuttle of Bellingham, and numerous other family members and friends.
A graveside service will be held on Monday, July 2 at 10 a.m. at Greenacres Memorial Park (5700 NW Dr., Ferndale), followed by a memorial service at 11:30 a.m. at the United Church of Ferndale (2034 Washington St., Ferndale). Memorials can be made to the United Church of Ferndale.